Why Study in Cairns?
Study Cairns asked international student (and Study Cairns intern) Timmy Mertz why he chose to study in Cairns.
‘Studying abroad is a desire of every student. The thrill of studying abroad is something very hard to describe,’ says Timmy.
Let’s give it a go and find out why studying in Cairns is so desirable!
Why is studying in Cairns like nowhere else in the world?’
Here are just a few of Timmy’s reasons:
- Cairns is a welcoming and safe city
- Tropical climate and outdoor lifestyle
- Cairns is located in the ‘food bowl’ of north Queensland – mangos, pineapples, bananas, lychees, mangosteens all grow crazy here!
- Gateway to Two World Heritage Regions, the Daintree Rainforest, and the Great Barrier Reef
- A variety of accommodation including share houses, apartments and quality-assured home stays
- Internationally renowned education institutions, teachers and professors
- Closest international airport to many overseas ports and minimal time zone differences
- World class dining, entertainment, shopping and tourist attractions
- Opportunity to speak with true Australian locals and learn English
- People are friendly, multi-cultural & multi-lingual
Timmy’s own reasons for studying in Cairns are backed up by data
Over 25,000 international students from 34 countries choose to study in Cairns each year.
Over 34% of international students visiting Queensland study in Cairns
Cairns is one of the top ten fastest growing cities in Queensland and has a reputation as being safe, affordable and friendly.
Then there is Cairns’ world-class Universities. James Cook University (JCU) is ranked in the top 4% of universities worldwide. Watch the short video below to find out why.